Friday, January 29, 2010

Altered Candy Jar


This week the MFT Wednesday Stamp Club Challenge is to create a piece of altered art/home decor using your MFT stamps. Rather than take a trek to the store to find something to alter I looked around the house for something I didn't like and would want to change. I was certain there would be something, actually I'm pretty certain there are lots of things but the refrigerator is a little too big to tackle and my family will object if they can't use it. Plus I like the idea of not spending my money on something when I know that there's soon to be an MFT release and let's face it, I am an MFT junkie. It was love at first sight for me. I saw that headless women in several different scenes and knew these stamps were for me. Eventually I became acquainted with the rest of the line and came to love Flopsey, my rabbit friend here, and all things MFT, the yummy ribbons, the gorgeous bling, the papers, you name it I probably love it and have it or have it on my shopping list.
What I found was a jar that one of the kids had filled with candy and gave me for Christmas, last year, or maybe even the year before that. It was a nice and thoughtful gift but it was ready for a face lift.

To cover the jar I took a sheet of dp that has "I love you" written in script in a variety of colors on it. I zig-zag stitched it onto a piece of white cs. Sorry, there's no company information on the paper. The diameter of the jar is about 13 inches so the strip doesn't go all the way around. I could have tried to piece something together to fit, but I wanted to make a focal point piece and just made it a little larger so that it would cover the space inconspicuously. I used Spellbinder Nestibilities to punch out a scalloped rectangle from MFT pink cs, and a heart and a blossom from white cs. I stamped the white cs heart and blossom with the Hero Arts "Manuscript Background" in SU Real Red and edged the shapes with the real red too. I stamped Flopsey onto Georgia Pacific white cs and colored him with copics then cut him out. For a card I would have mounted him and the heart on a dimensional but I wasn't sure how that would work out with the curve of the jar so both the heart and Flopsey were just adhered to the rectangle. It looked like it would be too plain that way so I dug around to see what else to use on it. I came up with the scrummy MFT red gingham ribbon, some Jolee stickers (aren't those ones on the pink rectangle totally adorable) and MFT bling. The letters on the lid were stamped with MFT bling bet in SU real red, cut out and mounted onto SU Apricot Appeal and cut out again. Then I used my heat tool to affix the crystals onto the rectangle and the letters.
The only thing left to do was to fill it up. I let Liddy pick out the candy. She knew I was going to take a picture of it and she told me I should scatter some of the candy hearts around the jar for the photo. Watch out my fellow junkies, I think she's studying what we do.
Thanks for visiting, why don't you bookmark me and come back regularly, after all you're the reason I do this. Oh, and don't forget to click on the pink ribbon before you go.

13 comments:

  1. I;m not stakling!! REALLY!! but you said you were gonna post!! :) Very cute!!! Love that BUN!! Good job on the challenge!
    jennik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project Chris!!!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!! Love your candy jar - so much nicer now! Unfortunately, it would always be empty at my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cute! It needs candy, it needs candy! The good kind, not the gross kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This jar looks adorable! Great job! Flopsy looks so cute & I love the ribbon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris - did you see that you won at Paper Sundaes? You need to contact them ASAP or they will have to draw another winner! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very cute! I love candy hearts (hint, hint.) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully done, Chris! love what you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute Chris! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic, Chris! SO perfect for those Valentine treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome face lift on the candy jar! Love this project!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin