Monday, September 14, 2009

Happy Cupcake Day!


I don't know about you but that's something I can celebrate. I made this card for the Viva La Verve challenge that's going on over on the Splitcoast Forum. Every Friday during September there is a new challenge with a twist being posted. The winner of the five challenges will receive the full set of October releases. Now that's a sweet prize that I wouldn't mind winning. This week the challenge is a sketch with the twist that the card needs to be for a special lady in your life, you should send it out right away so it doesn't collect dust and there's bonus points if you make a matching envelope. I have a friend that I haven't been able to spend much time with lately and I know she'll be really happy to get a hand made card from me. She knows how much effort goes into them. So I wanted to make something that was a "just a note" kind of card. I also saw the Cupcake Craft Challenge this week is to use Pearls and Swirls. I only have one set of Verve stamps at the moment and I've used them for the last two challenges and I wanted to use something different and well cupcakes were on my mind so I went to my Lockhart stamps and found a sweet cupcake stamp to use, the sentiment is also a Lockhart stamp and it's obviously the perfect choice when you have nothing else to celebrate. So I used the sketch from Verve and the inspiration from Cupcake Craft and came up with this card. I wanted to keep it sweet and feminine and the pearls and swirls give it that feeling. I usually pick the paper before I color an image but this time I colored the cupcake (it was stamped in Memento black on white card stock) with copics, before I picked my paper and let the image pick the paper. I used pinks and greens on the roses and put pink Taylor's Tiny Twinkles (they may show up better if you click on the pic to enlarge it) on it so started to go for the Pink Pirouette paper when I remembered that I have a pack of papers with pinks and greens on it, Stampin' Up DSP Branbury. I used scraps of card stock so I'm not sure what they are, just a couple different shades of green. I stamped the swirl from SU "Priceless" stamp set in Versamark and embossed it with white embossing powder and stamped the sentiment in Memento Black. I used different paper from the set for each layer and popped the different layers up on dimensionals. I punched the bottom of one of the card stocks with the EK Success Scalloped Scallop border punch and put Hero Arts Pearls on each scallop and in the corners on the bottom DSP. The cupcake was punched out with a SU circle punch and the mat with a SU scalloped circle and I pierced in each of the scallops. For the Verve challenge I stamped the envelope with a swirl (from the Priceless set) in SU Pretty in Pink and embossed it with clear powder. Tomorrow I'll send it to my buddy and the challenge will be complete.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you'll click the pink ribbon before you leave.

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty card! The layering of paper is great & I love the pearls on this card. The cupcake is adorable - the swirls of frosting looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card, I love all of the layers. Thanks for joining us at CCC.

    Liza x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card. I love the image and the pearls on the scalloped edge look fab. Great papers and layout. Thanks for joining us at CCC this week. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, you've done a smashing job with this weeks pearls and swirls theme, love your colour combination! Thanks for joining in the fun at CCC this week :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really gorgeous, i love the colours that you have chosen, a beautiful creation, thanks for joining us at Cupcake, hugs Pops x

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin