Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Day at the Beach


Are you familiar with the Splitcoast Fan club?  Each month they post a challenge theme and there are three challenges. The theme for April (or Shapril as they've called it) is "Oh, so shapely", they've got swimsuit season in mind, punches and dies too. 


One of the challenges is "More is More" they ask you to show a minimal version and a stepped up version of your project.   Up till now I've never entered that particular challenge. 


 



Over the last couple days I've been working on this beach card. I made it for a swap I've signed up for on Splitcoast. So actually I made six of this card. Originally I thought I might enter it into the "Central Theme" challenge but somewhere along the line as I was sewing or assembling the card I thought of the More is More challenge and wondered why I hadn't made a more stripped down version of this sucker. So I decided I would make one, just for the heck of it. Too bad I didn't of the minimal version before I made the stepped up one.


 After making six of the stepped up version the minimal was a piece of cake.  On the stepped up card every layer is popped up, in the minimal version the only one popped up is the image layer.  In this version the image was cut with the inverted scallops nestie.  In the stepped up one it was cut with a circle die and the mat was cut with the inverted scallop die.  While there are a couple embellishments left on the minimal version (I couldn't bare to leave off the charm and the baker's twine) most of the other embellies (the sewing, the brads, the stickles, the lace, the pearls and the sentiment on the inside) were left off.  In the stepped up version the charm is tied to the bakers twine with a double bow of beige linen twine,  in the mini version it's tied on the baker's twine, the linen twine is left off.  It's difficult to see the charm (it's the shape of the state of Florida) and the linen twine on the stepped up version.  There weren't enough of any charms to use on all seven of the cards.  One of the cards has a palm tree charm.  They all look cute but I am partial to the palm tree, I'll have to pick up some more of that one.  Funny thing, I can't decide which version of the card I like better.


Here's the deets:
stamp - Crafty Secrets "Bathing Beauties"
ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger "Tea Dye"
paper - Bazzill "Almond Cream" for card base and mats; Wausau "Tuscan Sun" and "Sunflower" cs for mats; DCWV yellow cs; My Mind's Eye "Peaceful Deam"(the aqua paper with the writing on it) dp; My Favorite Things beige Perfect Panel for image; Basic Grey Ambrosia collection "Chutney" and "Mandarin"
miscellaneous - copics; stickles; lace; linen twine; baker's twine; charm; brads; Recollections pearls; sewing machine
Here's the challenges:
Raise the Bar #64 = We Shell
One Stop Craft #129 - In Stitches
Paper Romance #48 - Summer
Simon Says - Anything Goes
Crafts and Me - Vintage/Distressed
Splitcoast Stampers - April Fan Club
Totally Gorjuss - 1, 2, 3 (1 charm, 2 fibers, and 3 dp)
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you'll come back again.  By the way, if you happen to have any idea why this changed from single spaced to double spaced in the middle of the deets can you tell me.  I have no idea how or why it happened and couldn't get it to go back to single space.  Well, if that's the biggest problem I have today, then I can't complain.                                                                                                             


6 comments:

  1. Love your retro beach image! Great combination of papers and embellishments! Thanks for playing along with us at Raise the Bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of them - but you know me "more is better" - love the image!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great image and colours
    Thankyou so much for joining us on our special week on Simon Says Stamp
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a stunning card. Thanks so much for joining our challenge at OSCC this week. Please come back again.
    Hugs
    Valxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty - I love the different versions of this card. The nestie you chose is perfect - it looks like she's in the middle of the sunshine. :) Thank you for joining in our Shell challenge this week at Raise The Bar!
    ~*Joni RTB DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This image is so vintage and beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me Challenges.
    Hugs:)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin