Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Monsters Need Love Too




Aren't these the cutest little monsters you've ever seen. These cards are for MFT challenges. New challenges are posted on the Splitcoast Stampers website every Thursday morning in the MFT forum. If you're interested in participating you can click here to find out more about them. The card on the left is for this week's challenge to create something for a kid. The card on the right is for this month's Ambassador challenge which was to use three of something in honor of MFT's third birthday. This set is a lot of fun to use. Because the monsters have lots of wide blank spaces they are ideal for paper piecing, a technique I'm very fond of. I have a hard time throwing away paper. One of the horrid nuns I had in grammar school told me I'd spend a long time in purgatory using up all the paper I wasted. Hah! It's much more likely I'll go straight to the hotter location and burn an eternity for many my sacriledges. But I digress...I was talking about paper piecing. It's a great way to use up paper scraps, and after all these years I still can't waste paper. If anybody has a therapist any good at undoing nun psychosis let me know. Anyway, paper piecing tends to be very calming to me, it reminds me of cutting out paper doll clothes. What fun that was so paper piecing brings good feelings for me.

Now for some details. The monsters were stamped with memento black ink onto scraps of Creative Memories papers. cut out and propped up on dimensionals. The background paper is from the Crate Paper Orbit collection which goes so well with the monsters. For the challenge to use threes I stamped three purses for the middle monster. It's very hip and chic in the monster community to carry three bags. Don't be surprised if that trend crosses over to the humans. Hey, it could work. She also has three blue Taylor's Tiny Twinkles around her neck, now that is something that has already crossed over to the human population. There's also three googly eyes on the card. Who doesn't love googly eyes, I can't imagine anyone not loving those silly things. The layout was taken from the week's sketch challenge. For the card on the left I used the same papers and stamps and on the bottom I tied some cord around the bottom bar hoping that it would look like a trap and then I stuck some metal dragonflies into it. I found a little bag of dragonflies in a clearance basket in Walmart. I got about 40 of them for 50 cents, couldn't pass that bargain up so you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll be seeing more of those little suckers. If you're having trouble seeing any of these details just click on the card to enlarge it.
Thanks for taking a look.

2 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin