Friday, July 10, 2009

Thursday on the MFT Forum



Today is Thursday and over on the MFT Forum at Splitcoast Stampers that means they are posting new challenges and announcing the winners of last week challenges. Last week the challenge was a Green challenge to repurpose an article from your house. I found a lucite utensil holder which I had purchased to use when we ate outside and needed to cart things out. It wasn't well designed so that whenever I filled it with silverware the pieces would fall out. I decided to do something with that.
My first idea was to make it a carrier for my Copic markers but it wasn't right for that purpose. My assistant Jill's birthday is coming up shortly. She's a devoted hard worker, and without her my job would be very difficult. Most importantly she has the temperment to stand my insanity and a good sense of humor, so we laugh a lot. Eventually I thought to make it into a carrier for mani-pedi items for her present.
The MFT stamp set "Girl's Day In" was perfect to use for images on each side. The WTG (Who's That Girl - the headless woman) images in this set are great for paper piecing which is one of my favorite techniques. I used the MFT paper set chocolate kiss for the woman in the chair, for the piecing on other image I used MFT summer collection for the cushion and Stampin'Up Pink Pirouette paper for the robe. I colored the rest of the images with Copic markers. I pleated MFT checked ribbon on the handle, that took a lot of time to do but it looks really pretty. I got the idea for that from MFT "HTDT" (How'd They Do That) forum. There are several tutorials on a variety of techniques.
I was very happy with the way the holder turned out and I was very happy to find out that this week my project was the winner of the challenge. It was bizarre to see my user name posted and it took me so by surprise that I lurched, lost my balance and came pretty close to falling off my chair. Fortunately for me no witnessed this graceful performance or I'd still be getting mocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin