Saturday, July 25, 2009
It's an Other Winged Something
This week's Stamp Something challenge is to create a project featuring bugs, butterflies or other winged somethings. Well If I were back in the garden state I might have chosen a butterfly or a dragonfly but here in the sunshine state my stamps are limited. The choices are birds or a skull with wings. I'm not feeling too rock star today so I went with the mellower choice of a bird. I will rock on another occasion. I combined this challenge with the Sketch Saturday challenge.
Since I knew the stamp set I was going to use my next step was to find the paper. The Basic Gray Granola pad seemed a nice match for the bird. So I started off by stamping this bird from the Inkadinkado (I love that name, I cannot say it too many times, be prepared to read it any time I use one of their stamps) Birds Galore set. It's stamped in Stampin' Up Bordering Blue on white card stock, the edges of the paper have been brushed with Close to My Heart Desert Sand. I drew around the flowers on the bird with a Gelly Roll Stardust clear pen. This hasn't been showing well in my photos. It adds a very subtle sparkle to the image. The image is double matted on solid papers from the Granola pad and is mounted on dimensionals.
When I cut the first piece of background paper I noticed the edges were a little rough, but I liked it on this paper and decided to rough up all the edges. Some days the distress look works for me, other days I gotta have clean crisp edges. The lined paper side bar is distressed and matted with a tan solid and has a piece of Close to My Heart ribbon down the center. The solid papers in the Granola pad have a spray of black on them so they I didn't edge them with ink.
The oval was made with a Stampin' Up punch. I wrote the sentiment with a gray marker, edged the oval with the bordering blue ink and then popped it up on dimensionals.
The last element in the sketch is flowers down the sidebar. Now I actually have flowers that would work with this paper, I sprinkled some of them around the card in the picture but I just didn't like the way they looked when I put them on the card. I kept looking at the paper pack, there is a page with flowers on them and I thought about cutting them out and using them but they were too big. I don't know how I got the idea to use the mosaic squares instead of flowers but I did, and I'm glad of it. I think they work really well on this card. Again I distressed the edges, I cut in the sides for a petal effect, popped Close to My Heart brads ( not really brads but I'm not sure what to call them, they have 5 prongs on the back, if you know what they are called leave me a comment with the name) in the center, smooshed (extremely technical procedure) them around a little more and then popped them up on dimensionals too. I thought I'd get this card whipped out in no time but it took a few hours, there were some interruptions along the way, but I spent most of my day working on it, thanks goodness I'm easily amused.